The Briggs Group is committed to maintaining the highest standards of corporate social responsibility in its business activities and is committed to:
- Promoting protection of the environment
- Supporting charities and local communities
- Promoting equal opportunities
- Ensuring safe and efficient working practices
- Working with suppliers who uphold similar values
The Group are ISO 50001 accredited and are dedicated to the optimisation of energy efficiency. Our primary objective is to minimise our carbon footprint and any negative impact we may have on the environment. The Group is committed to the following:
- To meet or exceed the requirements of relevant legislative, regulatory and environmental codes of practice
- To identify, reduce and dispose of waste arising from our operations in a manner that minimises harm to the environment and prevents pollution of land, air and water
- To reduce the consumption of energy and water and use renewable and/or recyclable resources wherever practicable
- To encourage our suppliers and subcontractors to implement good environmental practices and procedures which support our own objectives and targets
- To take responsibility for the maintenance and revision of our environmental policy, which is reviewed on a regular basis
- The Group uses printing paper which is chlorine free and carries the FSC kite mark
- Recycling of paper, cardboard, used printer cartridges and mobile phones
- E‐payslips were introduced for employees in July 2016, which has reduced our carbon footprint and print and postal costs
In the areas that they operate, the Briggs Group is sensitive to the local community’s cultural, social and economic needs and where possible, assist in the development of local projects and support charitable causes.
We also support our employees who wish to raise money for charity and do this by contributing to fundraising activities and providing time off.
Briggs works in partnership with selected registered charities either at a corporate level or with charities in the local community of our offices. This partnership raises money for the charity and offers employees living locally the opportunity to work with the charity. We also sponsor a number of local sports teams.
The Briggs Group is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and diversity in employment and recognises that this is essential to ensuring the success and growth of the organisation. To this end, the Group makes every effort to select, recruit, train and promote the best candidates based on suitability for the job. Treats all employees and applicants fairly, regardless of race, sex, marital status, age, nationality, ethnic origin, religious belief, sexual orientation or disability and ensures that no employee suffers harassment or intimidation (for further information, please refer to the Briggs Equal Opportunities & Diversity Policy).
The Group recognises that our people are our greatest asset and key to continued growth and success of the business and as such, we are committed to providing careers and working environments in which our people can achieve their fullest potential. In addition to this Briggs is an accredited Living Wage Employer, the Group recognises that, not only is it the right thing to do, but it also ensures that the Company attracts and retains the best people.
Briggs has the following commitments to its employees:
- To provide clear and fair terms of employment for its employees
- To provide clean, healthy and safe working conditions
- To provide a fair remuneration policy everywhere we operate in line with the UK Living Wage
- To strive for equal opportunities for all present and potential employees
- To encourage employees to develop skills and progress in their careers
- To ensure that staff are aware of the Group’s policies on insider trading, bribery and inappropriate gifts, money laundering and whistle blowing
- To encourage a harmonious working environment with zero tolerance to bullying or to any form of harassment linked to an individual’s sex or other personal characteristics
Health, Safety and Welfare at Work
The health and safety, welfare and wellbeing of employees are of paramount importance to the Group. It is the policy of the Group to create and improve standards of Health and Safety, which will lead to the avoidance and reduction of risks and to ensure that the company complies with all Health and Safety legislation. A detailed Health and Safety Policy Statement is held at all branch premises and displayed on the notice boards.
The Group makes every reasonable and practicable effort to provide safe and healthy working conditions in all its offices. It is the duty of all employees to exercise responsibility and to do everything they can to prevent injury to themselves and to others. The policy standards and procedures are communicated to employees through contracts of employment, staff handbooks, operating manuals, bulletins and notice boards and staff training as appropriate.
Employees throughout the whole Group are eligible to participate in a range of lifestyle and wellbeing benefits, including:
- Discounted health and wellbeing initiatives such as gym memberships
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
The Group is committed to ensuring the integrity and security of its business information with particular attention given to personal and sensitive data where inappropriate use or inadequate maintenance and safeguarding could have serious repercussions. The Group policies and procedures are based on its requirements for a secure operating environment, an assessment of the risks that the Company faces and relevant legal and best‐practice requirements. The Group has recently achieved Cyber Essentials accreditation in its major business operating divisions.
Responsibility for information security sits with the local management teams with appropriate training and support provided. The Group Information Technology Manager is responsible for the strategic management of information security, including risk management, together with implementation and enforcement of the Information Security Policy.
Briggs seeks to be honest and fair in our relationships with its suppliers and subcontractors, we take into account the interest of all our stakeholders including our employees, clients and suppliers, as well as the local community and the environment in which we operate. Briggs’ reputation is one of its key assets and as a major player in the UK marine services sector, adhering to the highest standards of integrity, personal conduct, ethics and fairness is deemed to be of vital importance.
Responsibility for compliance with the Briggs Group CSR policy and standards lies with the Chief Executive, Group Managing Director, Directors, Managers and their staff.
Direction of Queries
Any additional item relating to the Policy and Procedures not expressly covered in this document should be referred in writing to the Marketing Department in the first instance.